Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Local Language: 1

There's a particular phrase I say pretty often and Jeremy recently informed me that it must be a Northwest phrase because he had never heard it before he lived in the Northwest. It is: "...in forever."

As in:

I haven't had brussels sprouts in forever!
I haven't been to the zoo in forever.
I haven't seen so-and-so in forever.

I wondered if I was the only one that said this, but other people in the Northwest say it too (at least in Seattle!) I haven't heard anyone here say it yet, but perhaps they do.

Minneapolites (or Minneapolitans) don't seem to have an accent - at least I haven't detected much of one yet. A few times I've heard what sounded like a Canadian accent (on the 'ou' words). I have yet to hear some interesting midwestern or Minnesota-type phrase - but I'll report as soon as I do!

No comments: