Monday, May 24, 2010

Rain Gardens

It's finally time for the long-awaited rain garden update. (As a reminder, here are the front yard and boulevard gardens, the last time I posted about them, a year ago!)

This is the back yard rain garden with purple irises, yellow tulips, a whitish columbine, some sort of daisy, some coneflowers, turtlehead (that's the really big one sort of off to the right), one sunflower, some mystery grass-like plants that may or may not by Siberian Irises, and a hollyhock. And a huge weed too, but it's got flowers so I'm keeping it.



This is the front yard rain garden which is so packed full of stuff you can't even see what's in there in this picture!



What's in there is: that mystery white flower, creeping thyme, spearmint, phlox, cranesbill, a bunch of asters, creeping charlie, some fancy grasses, wild geranium, a tulip (no flower), more stuff I can't identify, and some crazy big weeds that are about to flower (so I'm keeping them!).

And, finally, here is the front boulevard garden:





I'm afraid the pictures don't do it justice. In here we have lots of coneflower (different varieties too), two white bleeding hearts, violets, two coreopsis, two columbines, tons of that mystery grass-could-be-siberian-iris, two mystery plants with pale blue flowers (which I swiped from the community garden - they were in the pathway!), lots of phlox, ribbon grass, yarrow, some sort of lobelia, a giant purple hyssop, and some daisies. It's actually fairly well packed out. I think in a year or two you won't be able to see any ground. I'm very pleased with it. I'll try to take some pics from the street side, which is lined with bricks.


Speaking of mystery flowers, I don't think I posted this one last year. It's relatively tall, maybe 2 feet, and has these fuzzy white flowers.





I'm curious if it's a kind of astilbe, but I'm not sure yet. And some mysterious fuschia colored flower is blooming in the front rain garden. I'll have to post that one soon. So that's the update on the rain gardens - thanks for your patience!

1 comment:

Konnie said...

Looks like the garden is growing beautifully. Thanks for showing the pictures.
Konnie